Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter Running + Other Tidbits

Easter...Easter, Easter, Easter...

I have to be honest, I don't like holiday's much.
My holiday is my work time, my work outs.
When I don't get to go to work, I feel lazy and become easily bored...
I also indulged in too much sugar and too many carbs, which also makes me feel miserable...
To add to all of this nonsense, the YMCA I train at is now closed on Sunday's until October! That was the last straw in adding misery to my weekend...

Fortuantly, the weather was lovely late in the afternoon and so I headed out on a 5 mile run Saturday. As I began, I did so in rememberence of Caballo Blanco.


It was amazing how motivating remembering him was. I ran with ease. The sky seemed to become a lighter blue and the grass was a lively green beneath my feet. The wind lightly touched my face. And the sun beamed down on me lightly, just warming me to a comfortable degree. It was an enlightening experience to say the least and I enjoyed every moment of it. It's amazing how much stronger I have gotten as well... Although I'm sure my pace was slow, when I'm by myself I go at what I feel is comfortable. If that means 10 minutes per mile, that is fine by me. Whatever I can do to get myself to run for a longer period of time. However, I have never ran very far. At this point in time, I have never gone beyond 6 miles in a time frame. Thus feeling that 5 miles felt easy was a great confidence booster in preping me for my 1/2 marathon in June. Likewise, I have to make sure a longer run feels good. If running doesn't feel good, even for one day, it takes a whole lot of effort and usually time-in days-to get myself back outside or in any form of "running mode".


Even though I got in a longer run, my dietary intake that take left consequences going into Sunday.


Eating more carbs and sugar usually makes me get jittery, emotional, leaves me feeling unsatisfied and I've come to find causes me to want to work out really, really hard-even on rest days.


Sunday looked absolutely miserable in the morning. Windy, cloudy and cold. This was a huge downer for me. I was not going to run in the wind, not when it was windy enough to knock down tree branches. My Easter day began miserably...


I took my gloomy self to a friend's house and helped her cook for her family. She then introduced me to the sport of Lacrosse. Well the jist of it, basically throwing the ball back and forth using the sticks in the game. It was a joyful way to release some of the stress from the weekend. Finally the weather had cleared up and I took advantage of it, going for another run. This time a shorter trip, around 3 miles I'd say.



I went along the canal bank near my house. It is the most gorgeous, secluded area and I absolutely loved running it. However, I started with an added loop toward a different canal bank and figured I'd cut through and end my run early, I instead stuck it out to go on the canal bank that no one ever touches. It was well worth the extra mileage. :)

That evening ended in an Easter feast of deviled eggs, salad, fruit and twiced baked potatoes. As amazing as the food was, I had already eaten so terribly that it made me feel miserable afterward. I did enjoy the opportunity that was provided by my old coach to go into the gym and play gymnastics, it was a nice relief and another stress reliever.

I began today differently. Eating almost strictly paleo. My breakfast included an apple, 2 eggs, chicken, mushrooms, onions, avocado and salsa.

Taught a spin class. Thank God for exercise and sweating, I felt much better afterward.

Lunch included 2 more eggs, side pork, green beans, avocado, onion, mushrooms & salsa. So similar meal.

Another reason I absolutely love eating paleo is side pork, bacon and chicken! After being vegetarian for almost 2 years, going back to meat has been a wonderful treat.

Onto spin class #2 and crossfit.

I'm gonna leave you with some running tips from Scott Jurek.

No comments:

Post a Comment